The Simple Pleasure Hour: Poached Egg & Avocado Toast

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Balazs and I are (admittedly) over-our-heads-busy most weekdays so in attempt to keep our days more balanced I recently started a little tradition. I call it "The SFPH" (the simple food pleasure hour). It’s 60 minutes, few times a week when we turn off our phones, put some music on, kick off our shoes and enjoy some good (mostly) healthy food I prepare myself on our balcony. No rules apply - it can be breakfast for dinner, a healthy sorbet for lunch or even a little treat of caramel candy before sleep.

So, I'm really excited as from this week on, I’ll be sharing with you, my darlings some of our favourite and super easy recipes that we make all the time. This series will be about simple food that taste great and doesn’t take much time to make. (Because who has the time to spend whole days in the kitchen, right?) Are you in?

First up is our latest breakfast-for-dinner lust: poached egg and avocado toast. It takes only a few minutes to prepare but oh-my you will want to eat it all time. Confession: I made it probably four times already this month - that’s how good it is.

The trick is in the bread itself. It has to be buttered up, toasted and finished off with a bit of garlic for that extra flavour kick. Here is the full recipe. Enjoy!

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast
(adapted from Turntable Kitchen)

* 1 thick slice of your favourite bread (I used an onion bread).
* A few slices of avocado (to your liking)

* 1 poached egg (Here is the trick I use)
* sea salt and pepper (to taste)


Extras: butter, 1 clove of garlic (peeled) and a few cherry tomatoes as a side dish.

Instructions:
In a bigger pot start preheating water for poaching your egg. In the meantime, spread some butter on both sides of your bread and toast it in a skillet till both sides are golden brown and crisp. Remove the bread from the skillet and rub in some garlic onto the top side. Next, when the water is almost bubbling poach your egg. (I use this technique but this one works great as well).
Next, pre-cut your avocado and arrange a few slices on your bread. Spread some salt and pepper on the avocado and top it all off with the poached egg. Season the egg to your taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Ta-dah!


Lovelies, what's your favourite breakfast-for-dinner meal? Would you try this one? xo

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).

24 comments:

Alexa said...

OMG that does look like the tastiest treat! :)

Tinacious Me said...

Oh my! That looks super yummy!
~ www.Tinacious.Me ~

Liesl said...

This looks like one of the yummiest meals ever! I love avocado and have been obsessed with eggs over easy these days...yes, please! :)

Patricia Villamil said...

You bet I'll be tasting this tonight. It so happens I have avocado, now let's pray that my poached eggs come out nicely as well. Thanks for the yummy inspiraiton! and cheers to the Simple Pleasure Hour!

Patricia Villamil said...

You bet I'll be tasting this tonight. It so happens I have avocado, now let's pray that my poached eggs come out nicely as well. Thanks for the yummy inspiraiton! and cheers to the Simple Pleasure Hour!

KristiMcMurry said...

I've seen this egg/avocado combination before and I keep meaning to try it!! It sounds like something I would just love. Thanks for this, I'll definitely be saving it for later (maybe even tonight)

HiLLjO said...

Looks yummy!

Annie said...

YUMMMMMM!!! We have done this for breakfast AND dinner - one of our favorites now!! xo

ElsaD said...

Delish!!!!!!!! I would add anchovies, serrano ham and/or mozarella cheese! xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thank you for all those sweet comments:)

Dancing Branflake said...

Diana and Ana- you guys are one powerful design duo! So lovely!

Diana Mieczan said...

Liesl, me too. I've been eating so many eggs lately. I love them so much:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Cheers, Patricia and I am so happy that you are making it tonight:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh yum, Elsa. I am so going to add serrano ham to it next time around:) Thanks!

HitomiNeko said...

wow everything looks so yummy! what a treat!

xoxo HitomiNeko xoo
http://hitomineko-hn.blogspot.com

Natasha Fatah said...

You made me drool at work.
Stop that. :P

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~

Diana Mieczan said...

hahah, Natasha:)

thingsIlove said...

That looks delicious!

Megan said...

Oh wow, that looks so delicious :-)

My fav breakfast for dinner is scrambled eggs, mushroom and bacon on sourdough. YUM

Polly Rowan said...

YUM! I love your love of avocado and poached eggs. They appear so much on this blog and they are my faves too! x

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh Megan, that sounds so good:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is awesome, Polly:) Thanks!

tutusandtea said...

I love this idea! The time we take to sit down and enjoy food and company without distractions is so important and in these times, so rare...I, too, have recently been putting poached eggs on top of everything! Quinoa burgers...salads...light pasta dishes...even the exact recipe listed in this post! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Lena P Cox said...

Yes I would definitely. Avocados are my best friend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk