Dinner With Friends?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Last week I read this article in theKitchn about having dinners with friends. They also did a little survey asking people how often they had guests over for a chat and a good meal. It was so interesting to see the difference in opinions. Some said that they entertain on weekly/monthly basis, some admitted that their social life is much busier during the warmer months, while others have people over only for special occasions, which sums up to about 4-5 times a year.

It must be due to our work-type because Balazs and I love being around people when we are not working. We organise movie nights or evenings with wine and cheese pretty regularly. (It's easy and totally pain free with some homemade bread spreads).

But after reading the article I realised that during winter months we prefer spending more time relaxing at home or watching Seinfeld - just the two of us. Must be because of the short days and cold, right? Also, one of my friends said something that stuck with me, it is at times a big fuss to cook something or prepare but it's so worth it when people enjoy the food we make and the atmosphere we create.

Anywho, I would love to know where you stand on the whole dinner-parties, dinner-dates with friends subject. How often do you have people over for a meal or how often do you go over to them for a drink? Does it change depending on the seasons? Or maybe you think that the whole dinner party concept is way too much hassle and you rather just meet them up in a restaurant? Do share…xo

P.S: Remember this awesome progressive dinner Parisian style?
P.P.S: My solo-dinner-dates challange, also tips & trick to a perfect dinner party!
Psst: Awesome GIVEAWAY coming up!!!

(Photos by/via Galaxie Andrews via Kinfolk Mag & Luisa Brimble)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting. I think you might have a point here. We also tend to have more dinners with friends during summer. It's always nice to sit in the graden and enjoy the sun. Love the photos, Diana. Cheers Grace

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally agree, Grace. Summers are the best for dinners out in the garden:)

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

i just had this discussion with my trainer - how going on date night should be with friends - b/c you end up talking more and having a more quality time and so forth - my girls and i have GIRLS NIGHT once a month - it's a MUST have!

Stephanie said...

I wish we had people over for dinner more often! I never really thought about it before, but we do tend to do that more in the warmer months. My husband and I have definitely been in hibernation mode the past few weeks. More often than not we just want to spend what free time we have curled up on the couch with our dog, watching something on Netflix! ;-)

HiLLjO said...

We're doing dinner this Saturday with one of our friends. We should do that more often with more people!

Evie said...

I wish I had the room in my tiny apartment to entertain people like this!

Alleen said...

I certainly do entertain more in the summer and fall than winter. I need to entertain more that's for sure! xo

Ashleigh said...

I'm a huge fan and would do it at home more often if our space were bigger to entertain. We end up going out with friends b/c it's just easier for city life (& fun to discover new places!) We try to have meals around themes - like Grilled Cheese Month, etc. I do find in the winter our social life calms down a bit. It's because I get lazy when I'm cold! :)

Diana Mieczan said...

I love your idea of monthly girls nights, Erika!

Diana Mieczan said...

Stephanie, I'm like that too lately. I just want to spend my evenings on a sofa under a cozy blanket watching something fun!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

We use to have people over for dinner at least once a month, now it's more like a few times a year. We do have a standing Friday night date with our closest friends, we go to theirs or they come to ours and we play games and cards. There is always food involved as well.

Morgan said...

Love dinner with friends. One of my favorite things to do. But yes, sometimes nights alone with your love are just as good. :)

Christianna said...

I tend to do this quite often, even though in these parts it means pizza or take out and watching horror movies with my guy friends! But it's always great to have "diner parties", it keeps everyone on their toes to throw in a nice diner every once in awhile.

Vintage Market Place said...

I would love to go or host dinners but in a town where friends are a rare thing to have and everyone keeps to themselves, it is hard to find people to enjoy a dinner with :(
Amy

Amber said...

Since my friends are all in other states I dont really entertain at my house unless its for a family birthday or something. Lame, I know.

Eliza Jane said...

I love hosting dinner parties! I usually do some sort of pot-luck thing, as cooking for multiple people can get really expensive, and I just don't have that kind of income. But there's nothing I love more than just sharing an evening home with friends.

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, sounds wonderful and Ashleigh, I LOVE the idea of having meals around different themes. That sounds super cool and something I'd love to try. Thanks!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jeanette, I adore game nights:) They are always so much fun,aren't they?

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh Amy, I so wish that you would live closer. We could have dinners together all the time:) xo

Natalie said...

we don't have people over nearly as much as i'd like! i love to cook for others, but our place is so small!

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

We don't have friends over nearly enough, but I love having dinner parties for an excuse to try out new recipes (with unsuspecting guinea pigs :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Alena!

Roselie said...

I love dinner parties but I quess I 'm too intimitated to host one myself. Posts like this one make want to take the plunge!

Diana Mieczan said...

Roselie, your comment made my day:)

Jamillah said...

Oh! I still have to do this dining alone business! Also I agree, I don't do many dins in the winter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk